notyourmonkey

Pump Six and Other Stories
Paolo Bacigalupi
SPOILER ALERT!

Catching Fire

Catching Fire - Suzanne  Collins Enjoyed it just as much as the first one. Someone described it to me as "the American Idol tour crossed with...death? and stuff?", and they're not entirely wrong!

I'm impressed that Collins actually found a mostly-plausible way to send Our Heroes back into the arena and handle it completely differently. I'm impressed how Collins is handling the love triangle-ish thing: appropriately complicated, terrified of lifetime commitment ::cough[b:Twilight|41865|Twilight (Twilight, #1)|Stephenie Meyer|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DcKN0STkL._SL75_.jpg|3212258]cough::, and not presented as an either/or. I'm impressed that Collins managed to redeem Peeta from vaguely irritating perfection by briefly casting him as the perfect revolutionary leader in Katniss's eyes. I'm impressed how successful Collins is at making Katniss an unwitting revolutionary, not giving the seventeen year old too much responsibility for Changing The World but still making her an important figure.

I have to say, I love reading about the crazy artifice of Capitol life, seen through Katniss's eyes, and I'm a bit worried about book three, if it's going to lose that particular charm. Sure, the series has a lot of other charms in its favor, but that'll be one I may miss in particular.