notyourmonkey

notyourmonkey

Pump Six and Other Stories
Paolo Bacigalupi

Love in a Cold Climate

Love in a Cold Climate - Nancy Mitford After thoroughly devouring its predecessor, [b:The Pursuit of Love|835458|The Pursuit of Love|Nancy Mitford|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1178768641s/835458.jpg|821072], I dove straight into this one without even looking at the back. Which turns out was a good thing, as the back of book descriptions for both this and [b:The Pursuit of Love|835458|The Pursuit of Love|Nancy Mitford|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1178768641s/835458.jpg|821072] bear very little resemblance to what's actually inside. A good thing, in my mind, as the actual book(s) is (are) far sharper and funnier than the blurbs ever hint at. Polly and her ideas of love are almost immaterial to the bulk of the novel, providing at best the "plot" around which Mitford's vicious and funny social commentary hangs. "Romantic comedy" - I think not. No one ever mentions the incest-adjacent overtones on the back of the book.

Also, this book (and all of Mitford's) are far franker about sex and sexuality than I ever would have expected. Egregious stereotypes of the time are rampant, but no one ever pretends the gay heir is anything other than what he is, and they love him as much as they love anybody in their almost universal cold-fishedness.