notyourmonkey

notyourmonkey

Pump Six and Other Stories
Paolo Bacigalupi
SPOILER ALERT!

Dragonsdawn (Pern: Dragonriders of Pern, #6)

Dragonsdawn (Pern: Dragonriders of Pern, #6) - Anne McCaffrey Okay, yeah, I still love this one. I have to not think about science or villain!logic or much of anything at all, but I love this book. I'm still not sure how Pernese society got from here to what we see in Lessa's time (other than twenty-five hundred years of increasingly feudal society, but damn), but a lot of the, hm, cultural(?) issues I have upon adult rereadings of the Pern books (women are only good for breeding except in rare cases and even if they're kind of useful we hate it when they get uppity I'm looking at you Mirrim! Bloodlines are everything and certain people/dragons are of higher rank by birthright and natural order! I think we're all white!) are much less prevalent in this book or are even explicitly negated (I did love how everyone in the crazy early utopia years is explicitly from varied originating cultures).

Avril Bitra is still the dumbest villain I've run across in a long time (seriously - why would she come to Pern in the first place?!), and I do not understand why the bad guys were given names of Holds that exist in Lessa's day. Does anyone want to remember Nabhi or Bart or Avril? No!

I'm still not sure I understand Tarvi and Sallah, and Sallah's death still seems horrible and egregious and a step beyond even for Avril. I still don't care about most of the other politicking that goes on.

Who am I kidding? I'm here for the Sean and Sorka Show, and I would read about them until the herdbeasts come home. Still adore them. Lots.